Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 1 (Intro)

Okay, there appears to be SO little information about Evochron Mercenary on the internet that I feel it's my duty to inform the good gamers of the internet of my experiences in the hopes that it will help someone outin place of a direct training guide.

Now I did buy this last week so I'm talking from a week ago here, details may be a bit lacking and perhaps not totally accurate but the important bits are there. First of all - 250MB download?!? Wow. This game is tiny, though you'll probably need a decent processor. Mine seems to run it pretty hot.

The first thing I did after launching the game was check the options - ALWAYS check the options! It gives you an idea of what to expect in terms of controls and you're better off for it later. If you're just reading this and have been playing a little while, not having done this, do it now.

I configured WASD on the horizontal plane (go faster/slower, strafe) and assigned useful-looking keys to easy access buttons (will go into detail later with a better configuration as this really didn't work later on). I went through the tutorials but to be honest they weren't particularly helpful. That guy just drones on and on and I couldn't focus on him, but even coming back to it the guides aren't particularly helpful. Do them but don't worry if you come out feeling none the wiser.

Skip to the next chapter if you're interested in advice, this bit is just going to be how I arrived at it.

So I'd picked Fighter as my class, apparently this just affects your starting ship and it seems initial missions so I wasn't really fussed. I attempted to dock in the starbase but flying into the blue stuff didn't seem to be working, and I was randomly engaging warp for some reason. At least there wasn't any collision damage. Getting frustrated I returned to the tutorial and redid the starbase one, then went back to the game. It didn't quite look like a starbase so I looked around until I found one nearby, a minute or so flight. Turns out I was flying through a wormhole! lol

So I dock at the starbase and pick up a mission. Destroy a few ships, should be easy right? I'm a fighter. Nice high rewards compared to the other missions. Exited base, engaged warp, landed in the midst of half a dozen fighters and promptly blew up.

Hm.

Tried a few more times but just couldn't get it. Could get one or two by flying along the outskirts, turning off IDS and strafing them, but they got me soon enough either way. I then had to put it down as it was getting late and I couldn't focus. So concludes day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment