Sunday, July 29, 2012

Day 8 (Advanced Tips + Campaign)

Day 8, I am SO changing the Launch button.

Okay so today I was messing around in Thuban - turns out this is MUCH better that Onyx for a "next level" as the enemy ships are still fairly low tech but there are still some tasty missions. Mostly "go kill these things" and again, involving lots of fighting, but hey if it didn't then they wouldn't need mercenaries and we'd all be out of a job.Out of a game. Yeah.

I quickly worked my way up to 1 MILLION credits - wow! Sweet stuff. I upgraded my ship, skipped the Saber frame and went straight for Raven. So much more assembly... Boosted my cargo to 4 and equipped the Falcon Mk II wings for better agility, while I was at it upgraded my shields to class 2.

While in this view I worked out there IS a way of telling what you have equipped (will edit previous post, I originally said to make note of the remaining assembly and keep equipping stuff until it got back there), in the top left you have the current stats of your ship. Obviously cargo and fuel can be worked out easily, everything else simply says a number, eg "Wings: 5". This means you have the fifth set of wings installed, which is labelled such, so "Falcon Mk II (5)".

Bit easier. On the right you have what you are changing to so you can compare your upgrades against how much it's costing.

Lastly for advanced tips, if you're getting frustrated with landing on planets I can provide further advice there. Most of the time a yellow (might be green, I'm colourblind ^^) box with a + appears somewhere on the outskirts, this is the location of the city. Additional cities are marked with green + symbols. Just jump above it and cruise down. If you don't have the box, get close to the planet so you get a gravity warning and an altimeter, it should then come up (I presume your ship scans the planet).

Now I was getting bored with random missions, I wanted to try the campaign. I looked up where to start and found that it all begins on New Hope in sector -3, 0, 2. One of the contracts comes up with an "I.M.G Contract" label indicating a main story quest. Take a satellite to space. Easy peasy.

Launched and dropped the satellite. Mission accomplished. It was at this point I got disconnected from the server (really glad it lets you save) so I had NO idea where I was going next.

Reconnected, no messages came up. Hm. I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING NOW. The site I looked up only had the first mission and I couldn't find anything for the second. Someone was however kind enough to direct me to News (open Inventory, then click News Console). Within there is a button for "View Last Quest Message". Excellent, go to the orbiting station and race the guy waiting there.

Etc, etc, you know the drill. Soon enough I had to mine something so went and did that, watched it count up then when I hit 25, closed my inventory.

Except I didn't close my inventory. I missed F3 entirely and hit F2, which is of course the Launch button and the reason for the first statement. My ship quickly accellerated straight into the asteroid and blew up. Apparently this happens often but I intend to prevent further cases by putting the Launch button on the other end of the keyboard. The End button looks appropriate (it's the top right key on my Asus G73 laptop).

I found myself back above Erato, having just cleaned the solar array. Yeeaaah screw that, I'll go again tomorrow. This post is long enough as it is anyway! xD

No comments:

Post a Comment