Saturday, July 28, 2012

Day 7 (New Ship + Hostility)

Day 7, today! Well only for another four minutes, then it will be yesterday.

So today I ventured into Onyx and did a few missions. Died a lot, the fighters here seem to be a lot more accurate and do a lot more damage. Take care to shoot them before they shoot you and as always, change direction often. They now seem to be able to calculate even exponential tradjectories, meaning if you accellerate in the one direction you'll still get hit.

However with my kitted out ship with C5 cannon and C3 laser, I was able to take at least a few on. Three, maybe four if the money was right. Unfortunately it seems nearly all the missions now involve fighting, even dropping off commodities involves a few enemy fighters waiting for you at the objective. Nothing to stop you shooting past them, dropping the cargo in the box on the fly and warping straight back out but I found it sometimes hard to hit the box.

At least the loot is good when you kill fighters, some of them drop antimatter or diamonds which sell reasonably well. Constantly frustrated with one cargo slot though so once I got enough money it was back into the hangar.

I mentioned in day 6 that your goal was around 600k - the reason for this is that plus the sell value of your current ship make up enough to buy the next base. Drag it in and marvel at the slight extra assembly capacity! I went for two cargo slots, better wings and better shields in the end. Engine was left as is since I'm fairly happy with it currently and fuel tank, well 800 is plenty for now. Annoyingly I was left with 10 assembly regardless of what I did so I just left it. It seems that any downgrades cost the same as any upgrade I could get. Oh well, it's an improvement.

Also got myself another equipment hardpoint or two (don't know if you get any extra points for the upgraded base but I now also have a secondary weapon slot), customised and built. Bought myself a fast repair unit and tried some more missions, marginally easier however don't expect wonders from the repair unit. It might have repaired your ship by the time you're done fighting and manually floated back to the starbase, but at least I don't have to pay for repairs anymore.

I am now starting to wonder about the factions - I hung around a starbase for awhile and had lots of fighters just appear from nowhere and head towards me while firing missiles. There were Guild, Navy, an Energy fighter, mostly Guild though. What I wouldn't give for some diplomacy. Am I missing papers or something? Who do I get a visa from?

I got disconnected from multiplayer so just continued in single player, fortunately I'd literally only just saved it but it asked if I wanted to save before booting me out anyway. Continuing in single player, I found something odd. On one side of a planet near a starbase, I suddenly had loads of friendly Navy ships floating around. Huh, okay, a break at last.

I then decided I wanted to land on the planet. checking the map, the little icon thing was on the other side so I just jumped over, it's too late to sit there waiting for my ship to cruise around it. Suddenly I was surrounded by hostile Navy ships - wtf? These guys were friendly a second ago. Maybe jumping through a volcanic planet is against a law or offended someone? I dunno. A friendly ship showed up and fired a few missiles, I didn't catch their faction, but I got bored at that point and decided to write this blog instead.

More updates when I play next! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment